You can't see it, smell it or taste it.
Where does it come
Carbon monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, wood, or
kerosene is burned. Carbon monoxide enters the home when any of these
appliances are not working and/or venting correctly. For example; a
chimney or vent may have become blocked, the heat exchanger in your furnace
or boiler may have cracked.
What are the symptoms of carbon
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that robs your body of oxygen. The symptoms can easily be
confused with the flu. In fact, the highest incidence of carbon
monoxide poisoning occurs during flu season. High concentrations of
carbon monoxide can lead to unconsciousness, brain damage or death.
You may experience some or none of the symptoms listed below. You
should suspect carbon monoxide poisoning if symptoms disappear when you leave
- Headache, dizziness, nausea,
confusion, shortness of breath, weakness, vision problems or loss of
What should you do if you suspect
carbon monoxide is in your home?
- Get fresh air and seek medical
- Vent your home by opening the windows
- Call 9 1 1, the Fire Department can
check your home for carbon monoxide levels.
How can you protect yourself against
carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Have your heating system and
appliances inspected and serviced each year by a licensed
- Have a qualified professional inspect
your chimney and appliance vents for any blockage.
- Ensure your home is ventilated.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in
every level of your home.